- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among college students, claiming the lives of 1,100 students each year.
- 67% of college students tell a friend they are feeling suicidal before telling anyone else.
- Suicide is the cause of death that is most preventable.
What is I CAN HELP?
I CAN HELP is a Mental Health Literacy, Compassion Development, and Suicide Risk Reduction Program for College and University Campuses. I CAN HELP is designed for students, faculty, staff, and other non-mental health professionals. This program can be provided to faculty, staff, or student leaders quickly.
The program includes a 2 hour workshop that includes activities, discussions, and questions for the audience. We give this presentation a few times in an open setting for anyone to attend (dates TBD). I CAN HELP can also provide this presentation to faculty groups, staff teams, as guest speakers in classrooms and organization/club meetings on campus. They are available to be scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Please contact email@example.com before your desired dates to allow us adequate time to plan your training.
Another feature that sets the I CAN HELP program apart is the breadth of its focus. Wellbeing is a whole-person activity, and goes well beyond just thinking about suicide. I CAN HELP includes information about trauma, adverse childhood experience, alcohol and other drug use, other basic needs like food insecurity, growth-mindset and resiliency, high conflict personalities, boundary setting, and more. All together this means you can achieve a range of education in a single program.
There are currently no workshops scheduled. If you wish to inquire about upcoming workshops or you wish to schedule a workshop for your department, please contact the Counseling and Psychological Services office at (707) 664-2153.
SSU Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM and Thursday from 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
University Police Services
- Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Except for holidays and campus closures