Student Conduct Questions & Answers

I received a letter telling me I have to make an appointment with someone.  What does this mean and who will I be meeting with?

Most likely you received a Notice of Conference letter stating that you may have violated the Student Code of Conduct.  Therefore, you are required to meet with an Area Coordinator if the incident occurred in the residence hall or area, or you are required to meet with the Director of Student Conduct for an incident that did not occur in the residence hall and/or it is an incident better to be addressed by the Director of Student Conduct.  Area Coordinators and the Director of Student Conduct are considered hearing officers during the conduct process.

Do I have to attend this meeting?

Yes, if you do not attend you could be charged with an additional violation, Failure to Comply.  If you still do not attend, a hearing will be take place without you and a decision will be made in your absence.

Can I reschedule the meeting?

That will depend on the reason for needing to reschedule, but call the phone number in the letter to talk with the hearing officer about the possibility of rescheduling.

How can I speed up the conduct process?

There really is no way to “speed up” the conduct process, however the process will be completed as soon as possible if you stay engaged and follow all deadlines.

What will my sanction be?

That depends on the severity of the violation, your past disciplinary record (if there is one), and precedence from past, but similar, incidents.

What do you factor into the decision to find me responsible or not?

The incident report, any witnesses that provided information either written or verbal, and the role you played.

Why do you say “responsible/not responsible” rather than “guilty/not guilty?” 

Guilty and not guilty are legal term used in the criminal court process.  This is not a criminal court process it’s an administrative process so we avoid legal terms.

Do I need an attorney?

The Student Conduct process is an administrative process so an attorney is not necessary, but that is a decision that only you can make.  However, they can play the role of advisor and cannot speak on your behalf.

Who will see my record?

Your record is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  Any information within your record can not be released to another person unless there is written consent from you to release and who it can be released to.

Can I see my record?

Yes, you are entitled to view anything that is in your record by making an appointment with the Director of Student Conduct.

Can I have my parents/guardians attend the hearing?

You are allowed one advisor to accompany you at your hearing, that person can be a parent/guardian.  However, if a parent/guardian wants to talk to a hearing officer outside of the presences of their student, the student will have to grant written permission to the hearing officer to speak with the parent.  

The incident I was involved in happened off-campus, why is the university charging me?

The university reserves the right to address behavior off-campus if it was student on student, there is a university interest, or (I know there were three reason, but I can’t remember the last one).  However, we only adjudicate cases if the information is reported to the student conduct administrator.